BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

May 3, 2008

The Stripping of Wallpaper and My Youth

I've been spending lots of quality time over the last few days stripping my kitchen walls of the dreadful blue poppy wallpaper that has been gracing its walls for what I can only guess to be the last 20-30 years. In order to keep myself entertained I have also been playing a series of all the romantic, dramatic movies I loved in high school. Great plan, right? Well-- as with all great plans, there has been an unforeseen issue.

What is the problem you ask? Well, as it turns out-- most of the famous characters I was so madly in love with when I was a teenager are IDIOTS.

Take for example Wuthering Heights. I used to swoon when watching Heathcliff mope about the moors tortuously crying for Catherine to haunt him after she dies. The 18 year old in me loved his passionate devotion. The 31 year old in me thinks he's a psycho that proved the need for anti-stalking laws in Bronte-Era England. And Catherine's no better. It really is a toss up as to who is more abusive and cruel. Realizing I had exactly NO patience for their "great love" made me feel OLD.

Need another example? Let's take a couple of dreamboats from Shakespeare. First we have the ridiculous Claudio from Much Ado About Nothing who is just about the whiniest wimp of a "hero" you've ever seen. He has the emotional maturity of a toad-- what a dreamy husband! And as for Romeo-- wherefore art thou's common sense, Romeo? My disgust with the pair of you really REALLY made me feel old. What kind of old hag doesn't appreciate ROMEO? Apparently, me.

I guess I know I'm not saying anything earth-shattering here. I always knew that "adults" sometimes developed these patronizing attitudes about the men that I loved.......but I knew that would never be my fate. I could never lose my sense of romance OR my imagination. But now, I am one of those boring adults! I have crossed over. Imagine my dismay.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am realizing that "adult" is really a relative term anyway. It is disconcerting how a person's perspective sifts with age just like you see it do in the generations ahead of you. ( Does this make sense?) XO KJT

Anonymous said...

Your discussion of Heathcliff is amusing.

We really are adults, huh? Wow. :)

Laurie said...

Oh, the symbolism! I love it. I just keep wondering what the "blue poppy" means....anyone?

:)

P.S. You are not old.