BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

May 8, 2008

Slightly Cheating

So I just realized the other day that I've had this blog for over three years now. Of course, I didn't tell more than 4 people about it for the first year of my blog's existence.....so I don't know if the first year really counts. I was SO paranoid when I first started writing it. I didn't want anyone outside of my pre-determined circle to read it. And now? Well, now I can't even really remember why I felt so paranoid. I think this has been a good exercise in not taking myself too seriously.

I say all of that to explain that I am slightly cheating today by reposting one of my first posts from when I started this in 2005. I figure my parents are the only ones who have gone back and read the archives (cause really, why would anyone else bother?)-- but if I'm wrong, please forgive the repeat. I just thought this was slightly topical given some of my posts of late. And so without further ado, I present to you "Mt Rushmore". (and no, I don't remember why I named it that)




A friend asked me today why weird things always seem to happen when I'm around. I don't think I really have a good answer for that. I mean, I've heard the rumor that I, myself, am not the most normal apple in the bunch (wait-- apples don't come in bunches....should I have said barrel there? Cause I don't think that people really say "the most normal grape in the bunch".....of course they could and it would be just as valid. I like grapes.)

Anyway, I don't know that I think weird things happen to me more than anyone else. Ok, that's a lie. I don't know anyone else who has been forced by the state of Kansas to cut the windshield out of their car. I only know four other people that have ever gotten lost in a an underground labyrinth in Germany. But those are just the four people that were with me, so I'm not sure they count. And there is the letter I got from the lonely felon who saw my address in a church bulletin--- but I don't think my weirdness attractors could have worked through a piece of paper...right?

Now, I know what you're thinking. Yes, my car was stolen from below my bedroom window by a ring of Russian Car thieves. And it's true that when the police found my car we realized they took all of my CDs except for Natalie Merchant. But that's not weird so much as unfortunate. There is the incident of me accidentally telling my Irish soul mate that I have a boyfriend but that was more stupidity than weirdness (of course the fact that his friends were wearing plastic face masks of Irish politicians did add a certain odd flair to the talk....)

And you know, my first night in Europe when I was 17 did entail getting followed by a gang of drunken men down a Parisian street at midnight...but it also involved a very nice man in a suit with a baby who scared the drunkards off and found a nice Jamaican woman to walk me and my friend back to our hotel. And my teacher did get arrested (while I had all of his money and his passport) on our trip to Greece the next summer for jumping into a fountain, but that was him-- not me. I didn't get "arrested" until two years later-- and that was in Slovakia not Greece. And the only reason I was there in the first place was to get free refills at the Little Caesar's in Brataslava. They didn't have that in Vienna. What? It made perfect sense at the time.

And now that I've reread this, I'm impressed anyone is willing to go anywhere with me at all.

7 comments:

Heather said...

I still haven't seen the pantheon. Or was it the parthenon? No wonder it took you so long to find me when I was "lost" in Rome. I forgot he got arrested.

Sarah said...

Yeah-- I think you missed us having to pool our money together to bribe the cops to get him out of "jail". I can't believe we pointed to a building and told you it was the Pantheon when it was really just some random building in Rome. It is a miracle we ever found you-- or did you find us? I don't remember.

The other memory about that trip that makes me laugh is Ann calling her Mom from Athens and telling her that we'd just seen the "Apocalypse". I still remember her Mom saying "Really? Wow. That hasn't happened here yet!" And I was just sitting on the bed frantically whispering "Acropolis! We just saw the ACROPOLIS!"

Anonymous said...

Sarah,
I found your blog through a friend's blog...and I must tell you - though after reading your blog - you won't care...that your blog is the funniest and most interesting blog I have ever come across. Are you any kin to the comedian Seinfeld...as your observations come across much as his did during the "day"...anyway...I was wondering if you have written a book, because if you have I would love to read it...Thanks for sharing so many obvious things and putting so many things into their proper perspective.

Anonymous said...

BTW - i didn't have a Google account when I first posted my above comment...but I do now...again thanks for sharing.

Sarah said...

Uhm....wow! Did my mother perchance pay you to write that? (My parents are convinced I have a secret book writing second life that I'm just not telling them about-- sort of like the secret tattoo they were convinced I was hiding for years.)

Welcome! And thank you so much for the compliments! Of course I care! It is nice to know I'm not just boring my friends and family with my nonsense. :-)

Laurie said...

Sarah,

I was reading this thinking I am really glad you keep a journal. I am glad because there is a book there that I want to purchase when its published!

This post cracked me up. :)

Laurie said...

Oh, and I am REALLY hope I was one of the chosen four! :)

I can still remember your telling me you have a blog. I like your observation about taking yourself less seriously in the process of writing it. Blogs are fun; I should really stop over-analyzing them (or, more specifically, mine) :)