BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

May 28, 2008

Nathan the Prophet of Israel was a what?

So I took a personality test that declared me to be an "INFJ". If you are like me and have no idea what that means-- here are the highlights:


"INFJs are distinguished by both their complexity of character and the unusual range and depth of their talents. Strongly humanitarian in outlook, INFJs tend to be idealists, and because of their J preference for closure and completion, they are generally "doers" as well as dreamers."


So far so good, right? Well, read on:



"They are, in fact, sometimes mistaken for extroverts because they appear so outgoing and are so genuinely interested in people... On the contrary, INFJs are true introverts, who can only be emotionally intimate and fulfilled with a chosen few from among their long-term friends, family, or obvious "soul mates.".....at intervals INFJs will suddenly withdraw into themselves, sometimes shutting out even their intimates. "


See! There's a REASON I revert into hermit mode every couple of months!



"As a pattern of behavior, it is perhaps the most confusing aspect of the enigmatic INFJ character to outsiders, and hence the most often misunderstood -- particularly by those who have little experience with this rare type."


I'm both misunderstood AND rare. They might as well just come right out and call me an ENIGMA. You know they want to.


"INFJs may well have the clearest insights of all the types into the motivations of others, for good and for evil."


It is like I'm SANTA!





I could go on and on since I'm sure you're all enthralled with hearing all about me and my personality-- but my favorite part of the test was the part where they tell you the "famous INFJs through history".

First of all we have Michael Landon, Billy Crystal, and Carrie Fisher.
Not excited for me yet?
Okay, how about Chaucer and Mother Teresa?
No?

Alright-- you are making me pull out the big guns: Nathan, Prophet of Israel. That's right, people. Nathan the prophet! He's not just any prophet. He's the one who called King David out on his behavior with a certain lady whose name rhymes with Dathbeeba. (At least I think he is. I could be getting my prophets confused again. It HAS been known to happen)


And now my question becomes: How the heck do they know what personality test profile fits an ancient prophet of Israel?

9 comments:

Kelly T said...

Very good question.

Anonymous said...

I have to say I'm not a bit surprise at INFJ results. Those tests are very interesting, aren't they? (Haven't quite figured out the picture, though.)
XOO KJT

(Josh) said...

i don't know who you are, but i was immensley entertained by the blogpost.

thanks fellow infj!

Sarah said...

Aw. I don't know who you are either, Josh-- but I'm always happy to entertain. Us infjs have to stick together.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.

Ophiuchus said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
nathan non-prophet of athens Ga said...

i found this because i also just took the test and got INFJ. I don't put much stock in it or anything but i looked at the famous INJFs and was really confused by the fact that they listed Nathan the Prophet of Israel as one, especially since my name is Nathan. Did you ever come closer to figuring out why they would claim to know that?

Anonymous said...

INFJ have a deeply ingrained moral sense, and are always encouraging people to grow and operate at what they perceive to be the persons "higher self". Nathan, understood how Bathsheba had been wrong and he advocated for her when she went to King David to ensure David kept the promise that her son would be king one day.

INFJs like to align themselves with a higher purpose and long term future goal, and like to see things come to pass. I can see how Nathan would make sure King David kept his word to Bathsheba. Nathan probably was a confidant and helped Bathsheba through her grief over the loss of her husband and child, and probably helped her keep sane and not riddled with guilt in Bathsheba's new existence as a wife in a polygamous marriage.

Proverbs 31 is probably written by Bathsheba who was likely a daughter of a priest. The wisdom that Bathsheba exuded was one who had grown, from a woman who thought nothing of bathing in plain view to one who was mature and wholesome. INFJs are very good at influencing on a one on one level and are very interested in their charges growth. "I want to help you get to a point where you can help yourself and help others. "

Bathsheba sought Nathans counsel on the issue of her sons ascendance to the throne and Nathan came up with a plan to achieve an end. (INFJ's logical thinkers, problem solvers - found in leadership positions because of this skill.)

Nathan, supported Bathsheba, at great risk to himself, (Adonijah wanted to be king so would kill anyone who stood in his way). INFJs are self sacrificial. Talents are put at disposal of others. They have influence, but they don't use it for personal gain.

They are change seekers, they understand the world is not fair but take steps to bring balance. They believe that one man can make a difference. (Nathan was One old man who believed he had the power to bring about deposing of a leader who he believed shouldn't be in that position. and He did it. - think other INFJs like Mandela, Martin Luther King who have managed to bring about change..)

INFJs are "prophetic" in that they are able to take in and process things that other people miss.
What made Nathan believe that it was important that Solomon be on the throne? What did he see in Bathsheba? why did he believe Solomon was special? he used a parable to bring about understanding of wrong doing in David. Does this remind you of someone? David respected him because he was a man of principle and vision.

INFJs just sense things, and absorb things that other people cant - they are almost mythical...

So here's why I agree that Nathan was likely an INFJ. I am testing INFJ and I would probably do all that he would have done especially to support Bathsheba, because I don't know how she remained sane in the madhouse that was the palace.

My INFJ subject of passion is the Bible, and anything to do with Jesus. Everything else, just doesn't matter to me so much.