BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

May 9, 2007

A Defense of Mellow Music

It has happened of late that my musical taste has been challenged (by someone who shall remain nameless but lives in Nebraska) as being "too mellow" and my favorite songs are apparently too "slooowww". And while I freely acknowledge that my iPod on shuffle can sometimes take on the tempo of a Eastern European funeral, I feel this is an unfair criticism.

(Sidenote: you may at this point be saying to yourself "Eastern European funeral"? What in the name of failed communism is she talking about? I can only tell you I don't know...that's what came out when I was typing, so that is what I'm sticking with)

Anyhoo......I feel that mellow music often gets a bad rap. No, it isn't peppy and happy and the type of thing to make you bounce all over your car. And true, it can often be so moody and dramatic that it makes you feel way more "deep" and "introspective" than is probably wise while driving your morning commute...but the point remains that mellow music is important! Why? Well, it is my contention that more often than not-- it is the mellow music that is actually SAYING something interesting or thought provoking. We all know I like to analyze things, and this includes my music.

In case you still don't a)believe me or b)know what I am talking about....let's do a little exercise in comparing/contrasting the lyrics of mellow music vs the lyrics of peppy music....and you shall soon see what I am talking about! (bonus points for anyone who can ID the songs!!)


"Mellow" Example A
I was just guessing at numbers and figures,
Pulling the puzzles apart,
Questions of science, science and progress,
Do not speak as loud as my heart


"Peppy" Example A
All you people look at me like I'm a little girl
Well did you ever think it'd be ok for me to step into this world?




"Mellow" Example B
I found us in a photograph
I saw me and I had to laugh
You know, I'm not who I was
You were there, you were right above me
And I wonder if you ever loved me
Just for who I was



"Peppy" Example B
Mary Anne and Wanda were the best of friends
All through thier high school days
Both members of the 4H club
Both active in the FFA




Are you starting to see the difference? Did I make my point?


...........








(OK, here is where I make my confession that I only half mean what I said above. I love peppy songs as much as the next girl...and I honestly haven't been able to get "peppy" example B out of my head since I copied the lyrics.....but my point is really only this: DON'T DISS MELLOW MUSIC KATIE. I guess I could have started with that, huh?)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL!!!
I am sitting here at my computer late at night cracking up. You are too funny!

Don't get me wrong - I certainly like some mellow music -- and there are BEAUTIFUL "slow" songs. Case in point: I love the song "My Immortal" by Evanescence that got totally overplayed; I also like a lot of Enya, and some other mellow music. But, I just really enjoy having something peppy to play in my car.

Again, I am amused.

Sarah said...

You consider My Immortal MELLOW? Or even just SLOW? Hm..... (and speaking of analyzing songs-- just what IS that song supposed to be about? I've heard everything from dead boyfriends to dead children)

And Enya-- Ah, Enya. She takes me back to very dramatic days in high school.

Anonymous said...

I misspoke. I don't "love" My Immortal - that was too strong of a word. I like it, but it is quite a depressing song. A pretty, but depressing song. I agree with you - it's more than mellow. :) And I don't know what it's about - I've heard a dead child, and if that's the case, it makes it ULTRA sad.

Enya has some very beautiful songs. I don't like all of her stuff, but I like a lot of it.

And I like other mellow music besides just those 2 examples.

Laurie said...

What a great post.

I basically only listen to mellow stuff unless I am dancing, and that is not too often. (I have had people comment, "you actually listen to this kind of stuff when you drive? I would fall asleep!)

Yep, I need some peace and introspection, ESPECIALLY when I drive. :)