BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

July 9, 2005

The Purple Rock

Someone asked me today what my "type" of guy is. I've been thinking about it--- because while I gave them a perfectly valid answer for how I felt at 11:45 this morning, chances are you could ask me again tomorrow at 1:30 and I'll have a slightly different opinion.

Some days (ok, bill paying days) I want someone organized and accountant-like. Other days I want someone laid back and easy going about all things. Sometimes structure seems like a good idea and other times it seems like the most boring thing in the world. (Can you want someone who will change your world and protect it at the same time? And is now the time to mention I once wrote a pros and cons list for marrying a South American dictator? Probably not.)

Of course there are always non-negotiables like loving and serving God, liking children, not being rude to waiters, the need to be truthful with himself and others, and a willingness to watch Orlando Bloom movies without making fun of them.

But there are always other things that are negotiable, but that never really waiver. I don't care if you can shoot a basketball, pitch a baseball, or catch a football (although kicking a soccer ball does have a certain oddly European charm)-- but trounce me at Trivial Pursuit and you'll have my attention. I'd also prefer your history not be filled with the shootings of woodland creatures for the fun of it (though a notable exception can be made here for birds. I don't care what you do with those rats with wings.)

The more I think about it, though, the more it seems like the whole notion of "types" does more harm than good. Sure it's important to have standards and dreams, but beyond all the black and white issues there are a million personal preferences that in the end just create limitations on the future that God has in store for us.

0 comments: