BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

March 1, 2009

The Flattering Lighting of Incredible Pizza

Meredith (my niece--for the 2 of you that don't already know that) and I spent the afternoon at Incredible Pizza yesterday. If you are unfamiliar with the establishment (and before yesterday, I'd never been there)-- basically it seems to be an all you can eat pizza extravaganza combined with go-karts, putt-putt, bumper cars, arcade games, etc. Meredith and I skipped the food and went straight to the games. Our first stop was the go-kart line where we wanted to sign up for a "double" ride (meaning I would drive while Meredith was the passenger/navigator/encourager)--- Anyway, it was there that the following conversation was had:


Me: (addressing the teenager working the register) "Hi...we'd like to sign up for a double ride."

Meredith: (smiles and waves at him like she has been smiling and waving at everyone since we got there...)

Incredible Pizza Dude: (looks a bit confused): "You're going to ride with her?" (points at Meredith)

Me: (returns his confused look) "Uh, yeah...." (also throws in a nod in case some body language is needed as well)

Meredith: (still smiling)

Incredible Pizza Dude: (frowns slightly) "How OLD are you?"

Me: (starting to look around to make I'm not too old to be riding go-carts-- but am reassured when I notice old dudes currently racing) "Uh..." (then blank for a minute and try to remember if I am 31 or 32).... "31! I'm 31!"

Meredith: (waiting patiently, still smiling)

Incredible Pizza Dude: (loses the confused look and replaces it with a startled one) "Really?"

Me: "Uh, yes."

Incredible Pizza Dude: "I would NOT have thought that. I was thinking like...22 at MOST."

Me: (speechless and still not a little confused about why it matters)

Meredith: (smile turns reassuring-- pats my thigh) "That's a GOOD thing, Aunt Sarah!"

Me: (starting to appreciate the dark lighting of Incredible Pizza) "I know, sweetie." (turns to Incredible Pizza Dude) "Uhm, thanks I guess?"

Slightly Blind Incredible Pizza Dude: (smiles and "scans" my payment card)


Our scene now cuts to 10 minutes later when I look at the balance of our payment card and realize he hadn't charged us for the ride....we go back over to tell him....



Me: (waiting for weird 50 year old lady to stop going on and on to poor Incredible Pizza Dude about how there better not be any kids in the "fast" go-kart race because she drives FAST-- FAST!! and she will not be thwarted by some kid who is out there piddling around not knowing what he's doing)

Incredible Pizza Dude: (kindly waits for the woman to walk off before he starts laughing at her)

Me: "Hi! Us again! I just noticed that it didn't subtract the money for the go-karts when you scanned our card."

Incredible Pizza Dude: (looking at me with a look that says "annnnddd????)

Me: (feeling a bit awkward) "Well, I just wanted to let you know."

Incredible Pizza Dude: (smiles and cocks an eyebrow) "Well, that's a GOOD thing, right?"

Me: (not really sure if a 19 year old is flirting with me or not) "Uh, yeah....."

Incredible Pizza Dude: (smiles) "Well, good!"

Me: "Alrighty, then. Uhm...thanks!"

Meredith: (looks at me and shrugs)



As we were leaving later, I was telling Meredith that I still couldn't figure out WHY he cared how old I was-- when she pointed out that he was probably checking to make sure I was old enough to take her on a double ride (apparently you have to be 18...I failed to notice that). I have no idea if her theory is accurate, but I have decided to go with it....as 18 is even better than 22!

(also? Meredith and I TOTALLY won our go-kart race....in case you wondered)

4 comments:

Sara said...

This is a great story! AND I can totally picture your responses/ tone/facial expressions, etc to go along with. LOL!

D's Mom said...

I'm so jealous that people think you look so much younger than you are! I wish I had that happen! :)

OK Chick said...

He was hitting on you. You should have taken advantage of that, you could get free go-kart rides.

Stacey said...

Go Sarah! Loved that story.