BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

February 19, 2009

Surprising Things About Being Single in My 30s

1. It totally snuck up on me.

2. I don't mind it nearly as much as the 15 year old me thought I would.

3. My father has revealed a previously unsuspected busybody/matchmaking streak.

4. My mother remains well behaved (at least to my face).

5. I have so many friends that are ALSO single to keep me company.

6. It is kind of fun and not a little liberating.

7. Having this many years to watch marriages from afar has left me with a conflicted view of the institution. (No unmarried person should be made to watch the movie Fireproof. If that movie doesn't make marriage look utterly exhausting, I don't know what does. I mean-- if you are already in it, great! Work hard at it! But for us singletons? Let's just say it isn't exactly a marriage recruitment video....)

8. Did I mention that my father has revealed his busybody tendencies? Well, it is worth mentioning twice because it was doubly surprising.

8 comments:

Andrea Kay said...

I like number 7. Funny! Fireproof is probably not a recruitment video!

Emily said...

Amen to everything! Lucky for me though...my dad is not a matchmaker!

D's Mom said...

Oh, #7 made me laugh out loud.

It's amusing about your dad - he just cares about you. :)

Anonymous said...

I am SO with ya girl. NOT seeing a whole lot of good things about marriage right now. Thank you GOD for protecting me! (never thought I'd say it that !)

P.S. What if he's the one????? You would have THE best "how we met" story!

Anonymous said...

Busybody is such an endearing term. Somehow I find it encouraging. Besides, I thought you might like someone who is 6'10". Might have interesting grandkids.

TheFamDoc24 said...

7 was funny stuff.
Are you really in your 30s? You look so young.

OK Chick said...

HAHA! Great post. Well I'm single at 28 (I'll be 28 next month) and I couldn't agree with all your points.

Tyson and Kenna said...

I love this! Your dad's matchmaking tendencies still crack me up. I'm glad that you find it to be fun and liberating.