BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

October 22, 2007

I'm Reading Again

I've stumbled on (in a book recommended by a very cool chick) perhaps the best description I've ever found about why I feel the way I do about travelling.

I read it and I thought-- This is it. THIS is why I love to go places. He verbalized something I'd never even been able to fully work out in my own mind.

And now I'm sharing it with you.....



".....I open my journal and stare.....and do my best to fight off the atrophy that comes from seeing things too frequently. I try to shape a few sentences around this tiny corner of Rome; I try to force my eye to slow down. A good journal entry-- like a good song, or sketch, or photograph-- ought to break up the habitual and lift away the film that forms over the eye, the finger, the tongue, the heart. A good journal entry ought to be a love letter to the world.

Leave home, leave the country, leave the familiar. Only then can routine experience-- buying bread, eating vegetables, even saying hello-- become new all over again."


~Anthony Doerr, Four Seasons in Rome

5 comments:

Mom of 4 Maniacs said...

hmmm...that hurt my head a little.

Sarah said...

Well it isn't supposed to do THAT!

Laurie said...

Love it. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Wish I had your courage. Love and admire you- KJT

Erin said...

So glad you like the book. His discriptions are soooo...italian :)